Friday, February 10, 2012

An unfamiliar subject -- the motorhome

Our latest assignment is to do a photo shoot with an unfamiliar subject, something that we wouldn't normally photograph. Since I generally have nature as my subject I was looking for something man made.  I spent some time shooting an old house beside the service station in Grant's Pass where we were getting a little repair done on the motor home.  That was fun, but I realized that taking pictures of old houses is something I've done quite often so I decided on a really different subject for me.

So yesterday I pointed my camera at the motor home.  We've had this old vehicle for about ten years and have done quite a bit of traveling with it.  But up to now the only photos I've ever taken of it were the kind like this one where it's posed in front of some scenery on the road (here on the main street of Mount Shasta).


The idea of using the motorhome as a subject was entirely new to me.  I began with the inside, taking photos as we drove down the Interstate 5 in northern California.  I took about fifty photos and found myself drawn by reflections in the mirrors of the landscape outside and then as I got further into it,  closeups of the hardware.  I kind of like the colours in this one of the latch on the "no-draft" window, something that cars haven't had since the early 1908s.




Then this morning I really hit my stride, when I went outside to take pictures.  It was a softly overcast day with some drizzle but that didn't deter me.  This time I took 130 images.  As I moved closer and closer in I was completely absorbed by the abstract images I was seeing through my viewfinder.   It surprised me that I wasn't even seeing it as a vehicle anymore.  Just as a way to finding abstract designs.  I've realized that it actually doesn't matter what subject I select, I can find things that draw my eye.

Starting with relfections of trees in the upper window.  (Of course I would be drawn to the tree silhouettes.)




Then again I got mesmerized by reflections and abstractions.  There water droplets everywhere and the chrome reflected the colours in the poncho I was wearing.  I really like the images where you can't tell what it is you're looking at.


This one reminds me of a kind of creepy smile showing rotten teeth!


These last two are more recognizable.  The first is the door handle and the next part of the side mirror.  I like the reflections here too and the limited colour scheme.



What did I discover?  First that I love abstraction and reflections.  Also I'm drawn to limited colour palettes.  But most of all, I discovered that I can find these things in almost any subject. 


15 comments:

  1. This post is excellent and thoroughly descriptive about your experience ofshooting a new subject. My favorite line is the creepy smile with rotten teeth. I laughed for five minutes. The close shot of the window latch is great. Isn't it fun to get caught up in the minute details that make the motor home? Such an interesting post Joanna!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't this a fun assignment? I also like the discovery of abstracts and love it when we don't quite recognize what has been photographed.
    My favourite two photos are the last two. I love the crisp and colourful contrast between the orange bodywork and part of the shiny chrome handle. This could be modern art! I like the last shot because I haven't a clue what it looks like (you say it's part of the side mirror). I like the angle you've taken it from and the different nuts and bolts (especially the rusty one). My favourite part is in the middle with the green, pale yellow and orange reflections! I enjoyed the different shapes in this shot.
    Great captures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed out loud at the creepy smile photo! Sounds like you really enjoyed yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! What a fun thing to photograph. You got some amazing shots. Had you not told us what it was, how would we have ever known? Wonderful lines and textures, I like the way you simplified it down to one element. Isn't it great to find that no matter what you photograph, there is something THERE for you? Love it! AND - do you realize as you travelled down I-5 you were within 10 miles of where I live in Corvallis? If you come back this way, give me a holler and maybe we can meet for a coffee! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kat, I did know you were in Corvallis and I'd love to meet for coffee on our way back. It won't be for a few weeks yet though.
      Joanna

      Delete
  5. Hi Joanna,
    Who wodda thunk! I don't think I would have chosen a motor home as subject matter for photography in a million years... but, you've opened my eyes! You get the prize for thinking outside the box! I do love all the abstractions that you've come up with. Wonderful images, all! My favorites are the water droplets on the chrome and the door handle against the bright orange.
    P.S. If I might say so, I feel the third shot would be awesome cropped tighter, getting rid of the top sky and trees and lower words. Then it would be all about the beautiful orange and blue color harmony and tree reflections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna, you are right and I kind of thought that when I posted this image. I'm going to try cropping it and see what it looks like. Then I'll make another post.

      Delete
  6. I love the photo of the handle and orange background...you really did a great job in choosing and capturing an unfamiliar subject. It's amazing how the little details of a huge object can be so interesting. Gail

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like what you have discovered from this exercise, that you can find elements you like in any subject. The reflections you've captured are nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the creepy smile photo! Abstraction is a hard one to pull off, I think, and you did a great job! I also like the water drops and the reflection of the trees in the window! Wow! that is one cool capture! : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved how you told your story. I felt like I was right there with you. My favorite picture is the door handle with the bright orange background. That really captured my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had forgotten completely aout the no draft windows! What a fun reminder. I really like the green and black in the photograph. Isn't it a wonderful gift to be able to find our photography enjoyment no matter what the subject!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have a great eye for seeing the abstract in an object. I really enjoyed your photos. It DOES really look like a creepy smile!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i really loved how creative you were in this post. my favorite image is the one above the creepy smile, its very arty & the one with the window is great too, i love the bright orange, it makes it pop!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love these, Joanna! Especially the handle and orange background - wow, does that ever pop! Eye popping joy! Love it!

    ReplyDelete