Monday, February 20, 2012

Beneath the surface


I chose this photo from my inspiration file for today's exercise--to write about what comes up for me with this image.  I remember taking it from along the walk beside a river in the fall and loving the reflections of the autumn trees in the green river.  And it is pretty with the colours at the top that are like an abstract painting.  But if it was only the top half of the image, the surface without the depth, it wouldn't have the impact for me.

When I look at it and allow myself to be absorbed in the image, it speaks to me of dimensions, of the glimmering surface and of looking deeper.  Often in our lives we're entranced by the surface colours and the gleam.  These surface things bring pleasure, of course they do.  But without the depth of the running water and the shape and solidity of the rocks deeper down, we're just floating on the surface of life.  This photograph speaks to me of being whole, being connected to our deepest purpose--and at the same time reflecting the joy in universe and flowing with it.

In reflecting on this intuitive photo journaling process I have to say that I found it difficult.  I felt I was getting way too metaphysical or preachy.  I did feel a bit pressured to find meaning in a photograph.  This one is maybe too symbolic for the purpose.  And yet--I do know that we all have many dimensions that together make us whole.

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful photo-reminds me of Impressionist paintings like Monet.

    I think I understand what you are saying: that without the visible foundation,the surface would be too abstract. Seeing the rocks beneath the water grounds the entire picture

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please excuse the deleted comment above. Here it is again. I had made a mistake in an important word and there was no other way of correcting it!

    Yes, that top part of your capture is like an abstract painting, or as Barbara says, reminiscent of a painting by Monet with his famous pond paintings.
    I like the way you write about what this image evokes for you and it joins the way I feel about life too... like finding the connection to our deepest purpose and yet still find joy in the sweet simple things that we experience, like the glistening surface...
    I love your photo and the words explain perfectly how you feel connected to this water capture, not too metaphysical or preachy at all. Just right!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photograph that reminds me of one of my favorite artists - Monet. I love the words you chose to describe your feelings about this photo. Sometimes it is very difficult to put words to feelings, or why we love a photo as we do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You captured your thoughts beautifully, through both the image and words. I resonate with your thoughts on depth. Something is missing if we are only looking on the surface. I crave depth. Perhaps that's why I love this type of photojournaling so much, it looks deeper and expects more. Even though it was uncomfortable, you did a great job. You don't have to find deep meaning in every photograph, but if you tap into the power of a photograph to touch your heart once in a while, you learn more about yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very much impressionistic. My first though was Monet also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joanna - this is lovely. Not too preachy or metaphysical at all. Rather, complex and beautiful, grounded and sparkling. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photo. I enjoyed your words that went with it, too. Not preachy - just giving me something to think about. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Joanna,
    I think that you've done a wonderful job of describing the layers of meaning inherent in this capture. Often, it seems that we are moved by the obvious beauty, or color, or whatever... in a scene and it takes further reflection to realize some of the possible deeper connections.
    This image has the feel of an Impressionist painting to me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is an incredible photo and a perfect example to demonstrate the meaning of your words. This is a very beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love the reflections in your image & love how you used the image of the rocks beneath the surface to write about being connected with our deeper purpose, i really love your experience with this exercise

    ReplyDelete