Monday, February 13, 2012

Seeing the image


This week's assignment in the online class has me thinking about what aspect of the photographic process inspires me most.  Kat has broken it down into nine categories from the intention to photograph through to receiving feedback.  I have to say that her analytic approach is very helpful to me because I’m not really one to analyze my process. 

Looking closely at it, I think for me the most exciting part is seeing a subject and exploring it with the camera.   Sometimes it doesn’t even matter if I actually take a photo.   

I’m remembering a trip we took to Greece way back in 1987 and seeing fields of stunning red poppies.  At that time I had a little tourist point-and-shoot camera and I wasn’t able to capture the images I saw because they were mostly out of the car window.  One memorable day we rented a motor scooter and I rode behind my husband through the flower-studded hills.  On one turn of the road the most gorgeous meadow was revealed and I managed to get him to stop so I could take a picture.  But my camera had run out of film and I didn’t get the shot.

I still have a memory of that field of poppies and last year when we traveled to Italy in June when the poppies were in bloom I was searching for it again.  I’ve never yet been able to find the image that I saw that day, although it remains in my head (or maybe my heart).  I did find a little painting done by an Italian artist that had the essence of the field and I bought a reproduction of it.   I’ve tried many times to catch the feeling of the poppy meadow and I still continue to be inspired by wild flowers in a field. 

I’m also remembering another time a couple of years ago when were exploring an old walled cemetery at a hacienda in Mexico.  An ancient woman with a long white braid and two beautiful children in traditional colorful clothing were placing bunches of flowers on a grave.  Much as I would have loved to take some photographs of them I just couldn’t interfere in that solemn moment.  Even from a distance it would have been seriously disrespectful.  But I have a memory of the solemnity and the color and the feeling of that brief time in the graveyard.  And I’m still inspired by headstones and flowers.


This photo was taken in the same graveyard and these roses and marigolds hold some of the mood of that memory.

Now that I have a digital camera I try to take it with me everywhere because I never know when I’ll see something that inspires me.  It could be the light through a leaf or the colors in a patch of moss or the sun slanting on the hills.  Lots of times when I’m out walking with the dogs I leave the camera at home because it’s too complicated to stop and take photos when it’s their time to walk and play.  And I still see things that I would like to photograph.  Sometimes I tell myself that I’ll go back and take the picture, but so far I haven’t done so. It seems to be enough just to recognize that I’ve seen the image as I walked by.

Of course I love to take the photograph and I really enjoy reviewing and cropping them and seeing how they look on my blog.  But for me the most inspiring thing about the photographic process is seeing the image and trying to find a way to capture its essence with the camera.   I know I'm in the flow when I find myself lying on the ground trying to get the light coming through the petals of the poppy.




12 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos! I know what you mean about seeing things to photograph but not having the camera handy. I also have issues of feeling as though I don't have the time now to stop because I'm on my way to another place. I've missed a lot of potentially great photos with that mentality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful, wonderful post Joanna. I resonate with your statement: "It seems to be enough just to recognize that I’ve seen the image as I walked by." Photography makes you more aware of the beauty in this world. That, in itself, is a gift even without capturing it and preserving it. Sometimes I think we have to take the camera from our eye and remember to enjoy the moment. The descriptions of the images you hold in your heart are beautiful. I can see them in my mind's eye. Thank you for sharing this wonderful feeling with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joanna, this is the most heart-felt post I have read! I love how you have described your emotions and feelings about missing those poppy pictures, out of film, ack! The gate and roses pictures are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joanna,
    Love going backward in time and hearing about what has moved you, photographically. I can see that you'll be searching for that poppy field until you finally capture it! I often see things while walking the dog. Dog walking is a good meditation. I've been making a point to come back to those visions that I noticed while walking ( without the dog). It's possible... maybe, try it :) Beautiful, colorful images!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely images Joanna. I especially enjoy those red poppies in front of the wall and iron gate. It's really interesting to read about what enthuses you in photography and how you approach your subjects with emotion and respect.
    Somewhere out there exists a marvellous poppy field - just waiting for you and your camera!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also love the image of red poppies against the wall and gate. A lovely setting. Hope you find your poppy field some day!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post, I like how you still have the memory of that field of poppies even though you don't have the photo, the thought that it resonated so deeply with you is wonderful. I love your photo of the roses!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found this a really inspiring post - I have lots of photos of fields of poppies and other wild flowers too - some taken over 30 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the poppies such a contrast with the wall and gate!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was such a beautiful post. I felt like you were talking directly to me. I think it is wonderful that you find beauty in so many different places and different situations. It is also wonderful that even if you can't take a picture, for whatever reason, that place or person or situation stays with you. So many people go through life never seeing or remembering all of the beautiful things that are right in front of them. Your photos are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're post really helped me to reflect. It's the noticing that matters. Capturing it is rewarding, but the practice of photography extends beyond moments when you have a camera in your hand. It's about being present. Thank you for your beautiful post (and photos!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love your second image of the poppies & loved reading about your passion for that poppy field, i can see it in my mind, i also have a love for wildflower fields.

    ReplyDelete