Sunday, February 5, 2012

Gallery influences

I didn't give this assignment as much time as I would have liked because we're getting ready for a road trip in our camper, leaving tomorrow.  But I did pop into a commercial gallery here that I haven't been to before.  It had a variety of work from big abstracts to landscapes, to cheery contemporary charming paintings to small still life paintings.  Several things drew my eye.  Big soft abstracty landscapes, some quite subtle.  I didn't like the abstracts with red and black and white but the one in softer earthy tones really spoke to me.  (This photo was taken of a concrete wall in Mexico.  I have dozens of these "wall photos" but my favorites are the ones that look like soft abstracts.)


I also like the wall size abstracts in deep earthy red,  gold, oranges and blue with lots of texture contrasted with smoother areas. These paintings made me want to head straight home and get out my big brushes.

The one that really sits in my mind though is a small still life of a yellow pitcher sitting on a shelf in a beam of sunlight.  Rich and soft and simple with colours similar to this photo of my favourite coffee cup.  This kind lighting really pleases me.  





I also liked some of the smaller paintings in acrylic of still life scenes with fruit, flowers, tablecloths etc.  Very simple subjects handled in a variety of styles.  

I admire the way painters can make things soft and blurry or sharp and hard-edged.  With the camera we don't have quite that flexibility.  Although sometimes mist and shadows can help achieve that.



I've loved going through galleries for many years so this isn't new to me but as I walked out the door I was reminded of the very best thing about seeing art in a gallery.  As soon as you step out the door your eye sees paintings everywhere.  Right around the corner was a weeping tree with buds and the shadows showing sharp against a soft coral wall.  Just beautiful.  If only I'd had my camera with me.








14 comments:

  1. Hi, Joanna, I know you said you didn't have much time, but, wow - you've expressed so much in the short time you had. From your description and the photographs, I can really see what draws your eye..and how beautiful! I love the warmth of the colours, the light, and the soft lines. I especially love the Mexico wall. What a treat to see what you see. Juli (from Kat's class). Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joanna, You described your visit really well. I felt like I was there with you and now I want to go see some paintings as well! I like your descriptions of the lighting and texture and understand you wanting to get home and take out those big brushes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joanna! I just realized it's you! Joanna from Halibuton, B-C. It's Juli here, from Toronto. So nice to see you again, and to be in Kat's class with you! How great! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Juli, isn't it great the way blogging and the internet makes all these connections. I love it.

      Delete
  4. Lovely post! I love the wall photo. Great inspiration for an abstract painting. Have a fun (and safe) road trip. Hope you'll share some photos along the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful warm light on that teacup -- I'm a fan of that lighting too! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the examples you have chosen: that wall with the orange and gold and blue and beige colours creating a lovely pattern with an interesting texture.
    I like the lighting on the second shot and how it blends so well with the colour of the yellow pitcher.
    That last lovely picture actually looks like a photograph!

    Enjoy your trip away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zinnia,
      Actually all of these images are my photographs. None of them were from the gallery as I didn't have my camera with me. Interesting how the first two do look quite a bit like paintings. The last photo was taken from the car as we drove down the I5 through San Luis Obispo in Northern California. I think it would make a nice painting though.

      Delete
  7. When I first looked at the wall photo, I thought it was an old map...it's beautiful.
    Thanks for the post. Gail

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Joanna,
    How wonderful that your visit renewed an old love, that of visiting art galleries! I smiled when you talked of your interest and love of warm colors - that is so apparent in your work! A warm glow really pulls us in doesn't it?! And, of course, warm colors advance and attract the eye's attention. I, too, love the variety of edges that painters can achieve. As you suggest, natural phenomenon, like mist or fog, can help photographers achieve similar results. I feel that between a working knowledge of our cameras plus the use of editing programs, we photographers can approximate the look of paintings, if we desire. I really like your last observation, that art inspires art!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the way you've linked the picture you saw to your photos especially the coffee cup - love the colours

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone for your supportive and kind comments. I haven't had time to respond individually because we're on the road. I'll be posting photos of our trip.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are awesome that you were even able to slip into a gallery in all your busyness! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i really like all the images you chose to illustrate your experience. they look like they are from an art gallery!

    ReplyDelete