Sunday, January 8, 2012

Why do I take photographs?

The first part of Kat's Find Your Eye course, Starting the Journey, gets us to answer the question:  Why do I take photos?  And of course the consideration of "why" really is the basis of everything.  I've spent this morning letting that question float about in my mind and I'm coming up with some thoughts.

First I asked myself how long I've been interested in photography.  And I realized that the impulse to create an image was pretty strong even when I was in elementary school.  My best friend and I drew all the time.  We had sketch books and loved to draw what we saw around us.  I remember trying to draw my cat, and learning how to draw horses, and discovering how to create a drawing that looked three dimensional.  So drawing was my first response.

I graduated from university as a teacher with a specialty in art but life took me in other directions and I've never made the time to really pursue drawing or painting with any kind of focus.  My first husband had a short-term photo hobby, complete with the SLR camera and the darkroom and lots of photography magazines.  I loved those magazines but I wasn't interested in the technical expertise required to achieve those kinds of images.

For many years the camera was something I pulled out at birthday parties or took on a school field trip.  When we traveled I took the point and shoot camera along and really enjoyed capturing the different things we saw.  That was when I began trying to capture a mood or the essence of a place. I took a lot of photographs when we spent a month in Greece in 1987.  Some of them are pretty nice to look at too.  I was captivated by the poppies growing up through the marble columns. But those photos, nice as they were, were just snapshots and the ended up in a box in the back of the closet.

The advent of digital cameras changed all of that.  I love the way this technology allows me to take as many images as I want and then select the best and manipulate from there.  It really engages my interest to take and image and crop it, and increase the contrast or saturation, or reduce highlights to make it come alive. Three years ago we made a long driving trip through the USA and Mexico and I took thousands of photographs.  I photographed markets, waves, villages, walls, flowers, reflections, kids, and everything I saw in the landscape.  I was blogging about my trip and that was another impetus to take lots of photographs and work with them on my laptop to show some of the things we saw on our travels.

Probably what inspired me most on those trips was close ups of tropical plants, wall textures and colours, and old buildings.  My little Lumix served me well for three years until the LCD screen broke this spring.  Now I'm learning about some of the technical details that I avoided all those years ago with my new Canon G12.



But back to the question of why I take photographs.  The easy answer is to record the beauty that I see in my world.  I am a very visual person.  I love colour, line, texture, contrast.  I see these everywhere as I travel through my day.  I appreciate the expressions on my dogs' faces, the sunlight on the bare tree branches, the contrast of the squash soup with the ivory coloured bowl, the sinuous shape of the kelp floating in the ocean, the shadows on the flower petals.   I want to make photographs that evoke the feeling I get when I see these things.  I want to keep a record of these moments.  And perhaps I want to share these with others who might appreciate them, although I think this is secondary.

Too often what I see through my viewfinder though, is not what caught my eye.  I want to develop the technical expertise to do better at capturing what I see.  Often I find that my eye is selective.  I see the mist over the softly coloured fields as I walk along the path.  But when I look through the viewfinder I'm seeing a bunch of ugly branches in the way.  If I were a serious photographer, I'd leave the path and tramp through the mud to the edge of the fence and take the photo I want to.  But I generally just abandon it and walk on.

I guess this is where the internal reasons that Kat talks about come into play.   If it's just a sideline to my life I won't make the effort to get the image I want.  Of course, in the end it's up to me.  By doing this course I'm making a step towards taking myself and my camera more seriously.



21 comments:

  1. Lovely post. Your paragraph about why you photograph is pure poetry. Looking forward to class with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I JUST upgraded from my trusty Lumix...LOVE that camera! But I needed to get out of my comfort zone and move onwards and upwards. Now I'm in total "learning mode" again with my Canon T3i. Like you I LOVE the editing of a photo, something I tried to avoid (aside from cropping) for many years. Fear I guess, the unknown....but now I feel as if I've opened up a world of opportunity. Really liked your article and insights.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post Joanna! Your thoughts are deep and so meaningful, and are familiar ones to me. Your flower photo is svery striking! I look forward to your participation in our group!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your post is wonderful. I love how shared your photographic journey with us. I can tell this will be an amazing class!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that first macro flower photo, you have framed the centre so perfectly with amazing clarity. I also appreciate the shadow and lighting. The second shot is really interesting because of the shadows projected on the wall and the contrast in shapes and colours. I like the angle you have created too.
    The third shot is lovely in muted tones and textures.

    I was interested in reading about your inspirations and where you would like to go with your photography.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are capturing some of the beauty around you as shown in these wonderful photos. Your macro of the flower is beautiful, the cropping, the shadows, the light all work well to create and compelling image.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your images are fabulous. I love the one of the wall - it looks like an abstract painting. The soft colors are gorgeous. I know what you mean when you hesitate to "leave the path" to get the shot you really want. I haven't stretched myself that way either. Here's to getting the shot we REALLY want - even if it means leaving the path or sprawling on the ground or - whatever it takes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The composition of the flower photo is lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. the light & shadow in that second shot is gorgeous!! I loved your photography story & why you take photos, looking forward to sharing this journey with you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I really like all of your pictures your first one of the flower is so crisp and clear - I think flowers are a fascinating subject to take macros of. The shot of the reflections is lovely and quite arty. Love the shapes that the reflections make.
    It is so true what you say about digital - it makes it so much easier (and cheaper) to take lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even though you are a visual person, you have a wonderful gift for description! I could see, in my mind's eye, the contrasts you were describing. I think you are well on your way to creating the images that make you feel what you already see. Seeing, and knowing what you want, are the first steps on the journey. Thanks so much for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Joanna. It is nice to meet you through our class. It was really interesting for me to read your post. Even though we are all unique and living our very different lives, in many ways we are very similar. The white flower is so crisp and sharp and pretty. I imagine that a lot of us wouldn't be blogging and taking so many photos if we had to purchase film and pay to have them developed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Travel is probably my first passion -- I developed that love in 2nd grade! And I think I want to develop a passion for photography so that I can capture my travels to be enjoyed for years to come. As you indicated here....I am usually disappointed that the image I saw is not quite captured with the camera.

    But I was really struck by your desire to take pictures of colors and textures --- and I loved both photographs you featured here. It has never occurred to me to take a picture because I liked the color - or I was intrigued by the texture. I am so glad that you chose to share that with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Molly,
      Thanks for your comment. I spent some time in Mexico a few years ago and collected what I called "wall paintings"--photos of various colors on the walls. Some of them were really beautiful. Unfortunately most of them are gone now as I lost a big chunk of my photo archive when my computer crashed this May. The one I posted was saved on my laptop. I'm glad you like it.

      Joanna

      Delete
  14. That first shot is breathtaking.. I loved reading your answer for Why!!

    Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I am your artistic BFF from elementary school, but you are so much more talented. Love all three photos, plus you write so well. I'm here finishing up various incomplete art projects, and can relate to what you say about how hard do I really want to work at something at this stage of my life? I'm afraid I'm a dabbler, but it's fun anyway. Enjoy your class!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather,
      Yes, it was you. I remember sitting on the front porch with our sketch books and you were trying to draw a Kellogs Cornflake box and discovered that it looked three dimensional. You were so good at drawing.

      Delete
  16. you write so well as you take photos...I'm impressed by the way you describe textures and and photograoh textures and shadows! really great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you everyone for your comments. It's so great to see so many people pursuing their photography. I'm really looking forward to traveling this road together.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It was fun to read of your journey thus far. Your work is stunning and the coloration delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, Joanna. Your post is thoughtful and eloquent. And I'm blown away by the images here, for their clarity not of technical focus, as that's a given, but a clarity of purpose and aesthetic sensibility. I can't name a favorite among them; they're all stunning. One of the things I'm gaining most in this course is finding the bar raised for my own photography - I can't just keep settling for pretty good any more.

    Diane aka Clever Monkey

    ReplyDelete