Wednesday, January 18, 2012

It's about the light

Earlier this week I collected some of my favorite photographs into an Inspiration File.  This will be something we work on over the next few months in the  Find Your Eye course.  The task was to come up with a collection of 15 to 20 photos that are our favorites, that make us feel something, photos that we like to go back and look at.  I ended up with a lot more than 20.  In fact I had over 80 photographs, but I've now reduced that number to 44.

In reviewing these photos I jotted down some words about what I saw in the photos that I liked.

light                                      texture                           shadows
color contrast                        negative space               pattern
reflections                             tension                           shimmer
diagonals                              depth                             drama
sharp focus                           mood

Maybe these are way too many words; I don't know.  They're something to watch for and think about.

But one thing that does become evident to me is that it's mostly about the light.  It's the photographs that glow that really appeal to me.



Looking at these two photos--they both have warm colored walls reflecting sunlight.  They both have dark shadows and light highlights to create color contrast.  It surprised me actually, how similar they are.  Both have diagonals in the composition too.

And when it comes to flowers, the images that draw my eye are those with lots of light, either shining on or shining through the petals.  These two images also have a similarity in that the camera is straight on and they both have a strong color contrast.

It seems that saturated color really pulls me in.  I love the little triangles of bright green in the centre of the flower on the left.  And I must confess that I've bumped up the saturation in most of these images.  Perhaps this is because I live on the grey Northwest Pacific Coast and I need the hit of vivid colors to balance that.




These are some of my beginning thoughts.  I'm looking forward to working this more.



17 comments:

  1. Hello Joanna, I loved seeing all the elements that are important to you when you take photographs. I love the first picture with the gate and the diagonal strips of wood and the way the light and shadows play together to enhance each other. There is something special too about warm coloured walls. These are really nice compositions.

    I appreciate the two flower shots as well - with the sun shining behind that Hollyhock and the green triangles you mention on the shot of the pink flower.

    Great beginning thoughts for this particular lesson of recognizing our eye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the first two photos for they are very inviting and I feel welcomed to come on in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful analysis Joanna! You have done a great job of pulling out elements that define your eye. You can see how they aren't in every photo, but over time as you look at your favorite photos you'll often find an element or two in each. I like how you've mentioned the glowing, warm light. Even your flower photos have an aspect of that! I so enjoyed reading this and seeing what you found.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The top 2 photos look like they were taken at sunset. I love the back light on the flower photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you're right--those two top photos were sunset. Such a lovely time of day for a camera.

      Delete
  5. The first two feel very warm and inviting. The flower photos are bright cheerful images. I think the lighting has an effect on your photos in a wonderful way. XOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love photos where the light glows too. Your second photo looks very inviting :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i really love the second image & the sunlight reflecting the shadow of the wine & the chairs on the wall, there is a story in that image.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joanna, you have definitely captured some moments that say "come on in, sit, and relax a while". The two top photos would make lovely restaurant advertisement pictures. :) I also see lines in the top two as well, adding extra interest. Stunning flowers! Love your work!
    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lines, yes you're right Beverly. thanks for your comment.
      Joanna

      Delete
  9. I definitely see a similar color palette in your photos - peach, pink, purple, yellow, green, etc. Those colors really drew me in to your pictures.
    I definitely don't think you've picked out too many words to describe your inspiration file. I did something similar in my analysis too. It might be interesting to go back through your inspiration file with a word in mind. For example, I loved that you picked the word drama. You could go back through your inspiration file and see what exactly causes drama in your pictures. Is is the color? The contrast? The subject matter? That can help to narrow your eye even further.
    Lovely pictures! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks for your suggestion to work further with the word drama. I will be doing that for sure. Are you going to be continuing on with the Find Your Eye course? Hope so!

      Delete
  10. I love the top two pictures I think it is the warmth of the light that makes them so special

    http://funkyrosebud.typepad.com/funky_rosebud/

    still not solved the typepad prob so having to comment with google

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've done a good job of identifying the elements that define your eye/interests. I especially enjoy your use of strong value contrasts and vivid, rich color!!! These are real attention grabbers and do indeed, make for dramatic captures. I also see a wonderful mix of warm and cool colors in these shots(w/ warm colors dominating), which makes for beautiful color harmonies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You really have caught the similarities in your photos. Your scenics are wonderful with the diagonal and very dynamic compositions and the colors! All of these are really eye catching.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hello,
    I enjoyed reading your post and what attracts you to your images.
    I agree, it is so much about light, light and shadows. These two things when in an awesome state, offer life to our eyes and hearts in a way that moves us, maybe even changes us, most certainly introduces us to our world.

    Lovely images.
    Thank you for your visit and message.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Firstly, apologies for not coming and commenting on your pictures before now - very remiss of me.
    Your pictures are lovely, your first two look very inviting, due to the light and warm colours - I wouldn't mind sitting down to dinner there. And your flowers are great I really like the reflections on the 2nd flower.
    It is interesting to sit and analyse our pictures isn't it?

    ReplyDelete